The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook:
SWEET CREAM SCONES
I wanted to make something fun to celebrate Baby Cambridge, so I turned to my trusty Downton Abbey Cookbook ;) I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS COOKBOOK! This recipe was taken directly out of The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook in support of their awesome attention to quality recipes, I take no credit for the recipe, just wanted to share.
YIELDS 1 DOZEN SCONES (I MADE THE SCONES 1/2 THE SIZE IN ORDER TO MAKE 2 DOZEN)
1 cup Sour Cream
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
4 Cups All-Purpose Flower
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Cup Unsalted Butter (at room temperature and cut into pieces)
1 Egg (at room temperature)
Heavy Cream for Brushing
Granulated Sugar for Sprinkling
- Blend sour cream, vanilla extract, and baking soda together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, blend together flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in sour-cream mixture and egg until just barely moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, kneading briefly. Pat dough out into a 3/4-inch-thick round. Cut into 12 wedges and place them 2-3 inches apart on the greased baking sheet. Lightly brush with cream, then sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.